Bikes’n Bytes (Nelson)
– A partnership with Traction on Demand, Kootenay Mountain Biking, and Cycling BC iRide –
The best of both worlds!
This biking & coding camp offers a fun, safe, educational, and exciting introduction to computer coding and multi-discipline biking. This summer learn how to create your own website, program a robot, and edit a movie you filmed during your KMB bike sessions. Each day includes 3hrs of coding projects and 3hrs of cycling. All rental bike gear and computers are provided. Learn basic coding skills and explore new trails and skills on Nelson’s local mountain bike trails. Skills, games, and rides!
Transportation and bike rental provided by Kootenay Moutain Biking. Open to ages 9-12, Skill Level: KMB 2-3 (equal to iRide 5+)
All sessions are covered by Cycling BC’s insurance policy with Gallagher.
A summary video of the week may also be published by ToD and Cycling BC and circulated amongst participants for their enjoyment. This summary video may also be used for future camp advertising. View recent article from the Nelson Daily.
How do I register my child?
- Choose a biking skill level that matches your child’s abilities. We have 8 spots for each group:
- Intermediate Rippers (Age 9-12 and KMB Level 2-3)
- Comfortable on all blue technical trails and can ride all green trails, maintaining momentum while riding through rock and root sections.
- They are starting to increase their speed with good brake control
- They can confidently ride raised (ladder) bridges and small rock faces
- Advanced Rippers (Age 9-12 and KMB Level 3 ONLY)
- Strong on all blues and easy blacks and can ride all or most of the features.
- They can ride at a moderate but safe speed and carry momentum
- They are ready to ride steep roll downs, raised ladder bridges, and more technical trails.
- Can perform a rear-wheel lift, bunny hops, a track stand, and small jumps and drops with the correct technique.
- REGISTER HERE ($285 camp fee) – select from “Camps” dropdown menu. The registration process includes the purchase of a $17.50 Cycling BC Mini-Membership, providing families access to up to $400 a year in financial aid from KidSport. Alternative funding support is available via Traction on Demand, please contact iRide@cyclingbc.net to explore.
To prepare, please bring the following:
- Water, lunch, and snacks,
- Gloves, All-weather clothing
- Helmets (CSA approved)
- Mountain bike with gears and hand brakes
Participants receive a welcome email 7-14 days before the camp starts. For more information, please review iRide’s Frequently Asked Questions or send us a message.
Traction on Demand Activities:
- Monday to Thursday: Coding
- Friday: Publishing + Class Presentations (Parents are encouraged to attend the presentations)