Cycling BC is proud to showcase My First Bicycle in partnership with Cycling Canada’s HopOn Program, and help more families in British Columbia access this transformational opportunity.
My First Bicycle Foundation is a registered Canadian charity with a mission to help economically challenged kids own a new bicycle.
Through a confidential application process, My First Bicycle invites families to apply for a brand-new bicycle, helmet, and bike lock so every child in Canada can enjoy the benefits and freedom associated with bike riding.
The foundation believes that all youth deserve access to outdoor activities and exercise, and physical activity and sports provide kids with an extra opportunity to grow and develop physically and mentally while building character, confidence, and relationships.
DOES MY FAMILY QUALIFY?
- Child age: 5 to 16 years
- Maximum of 2 children per family
- Low-Income Cut-Off Status Required
- Only parents or guardians can apply
WHAT DOCUMENTATION IS REQUIRED?
- Gov’t ID for guardian(s) and child(ren)
- Notice of Assessment for both guardians (if applicable) for the last two years (Sample)
- Current Canada child benefit (CCB) Notice for the last two years (Sample)
- Further documents may be requested to prove eligibility
- Applications only allowed for two children per family
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Submit your application online (~January-March annually)
- Application reviewed & approved by email
- The bicycle is prepared for pickup or packaged and shipped to you
- Open package (includes helmet and bike lock)
- Assemble the bicycle (attach handlebars and pedals)
- Ready to ride! (be safe, obey all traffic laws, and have fun!)
WHEN CAN I APPLY?
- Applications open in January annually
- Click here to apply.